Popular with locals and holiday-ers alike, Tauranga is a well-known location prime for leisure and relaxation. The stunning area is mostly known for its popularity as a tourist attraction, but the diverse activities, increasing retail, café and dining possibilities available, make Tauranga an exciting and ideal place to live.
Within Tauranga, Bethlehem is a hidden suburban gem located in the dazzling Bay of Plenty region. It’s increasingly gaining interest as a residential area—from newly-weds and families seeking escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, to retirees enjoying a new chapter of their lives in Tauranga’s creditable retirement villages.
One fact we do know for sure: the wide range of opportunities brings everyone to Bethlehem. Read our list of top 8 things to do in Bethlehem and Tauranga City and then come see everything for yourself. You’ll be welcomed by the great community in Bethlehem and feel at home in no time.
1. Explore local culture
Tauranga is a mixed cocktail of culture! Come and experience it for yourself in The Historic Village, an artistic collection of replica and original building from early Tauranga, featuring local cafes, salons, shops, and movie theatre.
Furthermore, the Tauranga Art Gallery is less than 15 minutes out of Bethlehem and the outstanding historical and contemporary art is well worth the visit.
2. Relax and enjoy local foods
Being in convenient proximity to a wide range of restaurants and cafés, Bethlehem is an excellent spot to try local delicacies and popular venues. Check out our top picks below!
• Nourish Café in Te Puna – Treat your eyes and taste buds to an artistic and beautifully decorated breakfast!
• Patrick’s Pies – If you’re really after some classic Kiwi food, try the award-winning, six-time-national-title gaining, pies sold here!
• Secret Garden, A little further away in Waihi Beach – Cute, hidden away treasure for healthy food lovers looking for refreshing smoothies, teas, and great coffee.
3. Local Markets
• If you love community atmosphere, come wander through the local markets:
• Bobby’s Fresh Fish Market – Central Tauranga
• Gourmet Night Market – Mount Maunganui
• The Farmers Market – Held every Saturday morning at Tauranga Primary School on Arundel Street. (A favourite among the locals! The friendly atmosphere and fresh produce make grocery shopping easy!)
4. Enjoy local parks and nature walk
Bethlehem is also home to many beautiful parks and nature walkways, perfect for early morning adventures or quiet Sunday afternoons!
• Te Puna Quarry – A community park with a beautiful wonderland atmosphere, perfect for picnics. Includes flower gardens, walkways, and a butterfly garden.
• McLarens Fall Park – picturesque location for bushwalks, over 190 hectares of space to wonder and a beautiful lake to view. You can also sit and relax with a coffee at ‘The Falls café’ in the park.
• Gordon Carmichael Reserve – an oasis of native plants and wetlands, very close to Bethlehem. An excellent spot for walking, cycling and viewing native plants and wildlife.
Additionally, Marshall’s Animal Park is a popular location for family exploration. The 35 acres of park attraction is excellent for all ages. Learn about farm animals and exotic species alike, with the possibility of feeding and patting them too.
5. Enjoy the beautiful beaches.
Bethlehem’s advantageous closeness to the glorious stretch of Mount Maunganui and Papamoa beaches also adds to its appeal. Enjoy the hot sands and cool pristine waters, all with Maunganui Mount in your peripheral.
You can also explore the beautiful coastal view with your friends and family by walking or cycling along the Waikaraeo Estuary Walkways, also known as the Daisy Hardwick.
6. Have an adventurous family outing!
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can climb Mount Maunganui. Walking along the base track and the summit walk gives a wonderful view the coastal beauty of the Bay of Plenty.
The Mount Hot Pools, located at the base of the mountain, also provides the perfect place to spend your afternoon sitting and relaxing with a picturesque view.
7. Go see Bethlehem Shopping Centre
Within a few minutes’ drive from The Vines at Bethlehem is Bethlehem Shopping Centre, a stylish complex featuring a range of outdoor boutique stores, popular retail chains, thriving café’s and varying shops. Have a wander around, explore the shops, and enjoy the atmosphere.
8. Play Golf
If you’re a local, you will know there’s no better place to play golf in the world than in the Bay of Plenty. Active retirees looking to settle down in luxury retirement homes, who are also wanting to maintain their active lifestyle can easily do this.
The top golfing spots in the Bay of Plenty include:
• Tauranga Golf Club
• Omanu Golf Club
• Mount Maunganui Gold Club
Enjoy all that Bethlehem, Tauranga has to offer
If all that Bethlehem has to offer sounds like the perfect retirement to you, then you’ve come to the right place. Learn more about our lifestyle here at The Vines at Bethlehem, or register your interest with us today!